Do I have to register for Self-Assessment?

Do I have to register for Self-Assessment?

If you are employed in one of the following ways then the answer to the question is yes.

  • Self-employed sole traders.
  • Limited company directors.
  • Shareholders.
  • Partners (members) in general partnerships and limited liability partnerships (LLPs).
  • Employees claiming expenses in excess of £2,500/tax year.
  • Any individual with an annual income over £100,000.
  • Anyone who receives rental income above £2,500 from UK property or land.

If you need to register for Self-Assessment, you must do so before 5th October after the end of the relevant tax year. For example: the registration deadline for the 2017-18 tax year (April 6th 2017 – April 5th 2018) is 5th October 2018. The deadline is after the end of the tax year.

You must file your Self-Assessment tax return by 31st October 2018 (paper returns) or 31st January 2019 (online returns). All Income Tax and National Insurance due for the 2017-18 tax year must be fully paid by 31st January 2019.

1. How much Income Tax will I have to pay through Self-Assessment?

Income Tax is charged at varying rates. Every person born after April 5th 1948 with an annual income below £100,00 is entitled to a Personal tax free allowance of £11,500 (2017-18 tax year). Income above this amount will be subject to the following tax rates:

  • 20% Income Tax rate on annual income up to £33,500 (or £45,000 if you incl. the tax-free Personal Allowance)
  • 40% Income Tax rate on annual income between £33,501 – £150,000 (or £45,001 -£150,000)
  • 45% Income Tax rate on annual above £150,000.

2. What National Insurance do I have to pay through Self-Assessment?

Most people who are registered for Self-Assessment will pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance Contributions:

  • Class 2 must be paid when annual taxable income reaches £6,025. It is charged at £2.85 per week.
  • Class 4 must be paid on annual taxable income above £8,164. You will pay 9% class 4 on income up to £45,000. Above that amount, you will pay an additional 2%.

National insurance should be paid through self-assessment by January 31st after the end of the tax year.

3. Self-Assessment for sole traders

A sole trader is an individual person who is self-employed through their own small business. As a sole trader, you must register for Self-Assessment, file an annual tax return and pay Income Tax and National Insurance on all taxable income. This is one of the easiest types of business structures to set up and run. It is particularly beneficial for people with small businesses with an annual taxable income below £20,000.

4. Self-Assessment for limited company directors

A limited company director is technically an employee of the company, even if he or she is the owner of that business. Directors usually receive a salary through PAYE. Their personal tax and Class 1 NI will be deducted at source.

However, directors may also receive dividend payments, directors’ loans, benefits and expenses, none of which are taxed through PAYE. Directors must therefore register for Self-Assessment to report this additional income. Any personal tax liabilities arising from sources of additional income will be paid through Self-Assessment.

5. Self-Assessment for LLP members

LLP members are self-employed individuals who collectively run a business as a partnership. A limited liability partnership itself is not taxed. LLP members are taxed individually on their share of business profits. It is for this reason that LLP members are required to register for Self-Assessment and file Self-Assessment tax returns each year.

6. How to register for Self-Assessment

Register for Self-Assessment as a self-employed sole trader or partner

You will need to create a Government Gateway account and password. Your User ID will be displayed on the screen as soon as this is done. HMRC will then request information about you and your business to set up your online account and enrol you for Self-Assessment Online service. This will take around 10-15 minutes to complete but it’s very straightforward.

Within a few days of submission of your registration, HMRC will post an acknowledgment letter to your business address. This will contain your Unique Taxation Reference (UTR). You will have to provide this number to file tax returns and pay tax so keep it safe. You should also receive another letter shortly afterward with your Activation Code. You must use this code within 28 days to activate your online account and file Self-Assessment tax returns.

Register for Self-Assessment as a limited company director

It can take a little longer to fully register for Self-Assessment as a company director but it is still relatively straightforward:

  • Complete form SA1 online.
  • Within approximately 10 working days, you should receive your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) in the post – this is not the same as the Company UTR.
  • When you receive your UTR, you can enrol online for Self-Assessment services by creating a Government Gateway account and password. Your User ID will then be displayed on the screen.
  • An activation code will be posted to your within 10 working days.
  • You must activate your online account within 28 days. Simply log in with your User ID and password, and then enter your activation code when requested.

7. How do I file a Self-Assessment tax return?

You can file your Self-Assessment tax return online or by post. You can do this yourself or you can appoint an accountant to complete and file the return on your behalf. It’s relatively easy to file a return yourself if your accounts are simple and you use HMRC’s free Self-Assessment online service. Your tax and National Insurance liabilities will be worked out during the process, so you will be told how much you have to pay when you have finished the return.

If your accounts are complex and you have to complete lots of supplementary pages, you may wish to consult an accountant for advice. As long as you have registered for Self-Assessment and activated your online account by the registration deadline (October 5th after the end of the relevant tax year), you can file your tax return any time after the end of the tax year.

The deadline for filing postal returns for the current 2017-18 tax year is October 31st 2018. The deadline for filing online returns for the 2017-18 tax year is 31st January 2019. All tax and NI for this tax year must reach HMRC by 31st January 2019. If your tax return is late or you pay your tax and NI late, you may be charged a penalty.

IntelligentPA have qualified Accountants who are used to complex income returns and are happy to support you throughout the whole process. Contact us today! 


Leave a Reply